http://www.NGSgenealogy.org/comstandtech.htm Mindful that computers are
tools, genealogists take full responsibility for their work, and therefore
* learn the capabilities and limits of their equipment and software, and use them only when they are the most appropriate tools for a purpose.
* do not accept uncritically the ability of software to format, number, import, modify, check, chart or report their data, and therefore carefully evaluate any resulting product.
* treat compiled information from on-line sources or digital databases in the same way as other published sources--useful primarily as a guide to locating original records, but not as evidence for a conclusion or assertion.
* accept digital images or enhancements of an original record as a satisfactory substitute for the original only when there is reasonable assurance that the image accurately reproduces the unaltered original.
* cite sources for data obtained on-line or from digital media with the same care that is appropriate for sources on paper and other traditional media, and enter data into a digital database only when its source can remain associated with it.
* always cite the sources for information or data posted on-line or sent to others, naming the author of a digital file as its immediate source, while crediting original sources cited within the file.
* preserve the integrity of their own databases by evaluating the reliability of downloaded data before incorporating it into their own files.
* provide, whenever they alter data received in digital form, a description of the change that will accompany the altered data whenever it is shared with others.
* actively oppose the proliferation of error, rumor and fraud by personally verifying or correcting information, or noting it as unverified, before passing it on to others.
* treat people on-line as courteously and civilly as they would treat them face-to-face, not separated by networks and anonymity.
* accept that technology has not changed the principles of genealogical research, only some of the procedures.
©2002 by National Genealogical Society. Permission is granted to copy or publish this material provided it is reproduced in its entirety, including this notice.
Return to Home Page